RFP for Artwork for Pugsley Park
NAME OF OPPORTUNITY: Making Connections: A Peekskill Public Art Project: Call for art for installation at Pugsley Park
The Peekskill Arts Alliance (PAA), with funding from the Peekskill Downtown Revitalization Initiative (DRI), seeks artwork from members of the Peekskill Arts Alliance for curated installations at Pugsley Park. Selected artwork will be scanned and printed on either mesh) or vinyl (for Pugsley Park.) This Installation will include multiple artists.
Artwork should be created specifically for Pugsley Park with the following theme in mind:
- A Day in the Park: Thinking of the newly landscaped park as a place of rest in the rush of city life. With this in mind, submit your interpretation of the theme. You may use pre-existing images or create site specific new works.
- Please submit 3 images for the curatorial committee to choose from. One image per chosen artist will be used. The work will be grouped together in several installations throughout the park.
Please review all details in this document before making your submission.
DEADLINE for Submission: Images must be submitted by March 15, 2024 to firstname.lastname@example.org Artists will be notified of their selection by March 28, 2024.
In the e-mail submission please be sure to add the follow artist information:
Artist’s name, e-mail address, best phone number
For each artwork submitted:
Attached images of artwork to the e-mail (in a jpeg or pdf) format labelled:
Artist’s last name and title of that specific artwork
Size specifications and resolution for images: 3 images; no larger than 1500 pixels ea. in height or width at 300dpi. File size no larger than 7mg
If your work is chosen, specifications for the file resolution for printing will be forwarded for the large-scale banner fabrication.
The Pugsley Park installation will include 16 panels by artists, each 8’x8’ that will be installed on a metal stanchion in the newly renovated Pugsley Park. Each participating artist will receive an honorarium of $150.
SELECTION PROCESS & CRITERIA:
Our established Making Connections curatorial committee will review all eligible artist submissions. The committee includes representatives from the Peekskill and Westchester art community. The composite installation will then be reviewed by a DRI Overview Committee and then will be submitted to the City of Peekskill Common Council for final approval.
PROJECT CONTACTS: All questions about this opportunity should be directed to email@example.com
BACKGROUND OVERVIEW OF THE PAA MAKING CONNECTIONS PUBLIC ART PROJECT:
Peekskill’s award of $10,000,000 as part of New York State’s Downtown Revitalization Initiative promises to transform the City of Peekskill. In response to this opportunity, the PAA and Business Improvement District (BID) are co-sponsoring a large public art project, known as Making Connections. A total of $137,000 has been allocated to this project from the DRI grant.
Making Connections includes a total of 13 proposed locations that will create art corridors, using murals and installations to connect the Peekskill Waterfront to the downtown and serve to engage residents and visitors in a unique cultural and historic experience, increase foot traffic and tourism, and improve the attractiveness of the downtown.
The public artworks will:
- Be strategically placed to highlight gateways, local geography, and cultural history.
- Create art corridors that serve as wayfinding landmarks, or a navigational map.
- Provide opportunities for community engagement and participation in creating public art.
- Remain sensitive to the architectural integrity of historic areas while celebrating and enhancing our city’s identity.
- Result in a cohesive and thematically unique display of public art
- Include artwork that is site-specific, designed to best suit its location and appropriate for a public audience of all ages.
- Stimulate business activity through art tourism in downtown Peekskill.